Monday, April 1, 2013

Happy April - Freebie on the First

Happy April 1st!

I have a freebie on the first for you. I have been working on Short Vowel Word Families and Earth Day. So this week, you get a freebie from both.

For Freebie on the First, I created a Word Family Bump game for short i (TPT, TN)  The freebie is played just like any BUMP game except players spin a family and cover a words from that family.

Why word family games?

 They provide repeated practice chunking and rhyming which increases fluency. They also increase self-esteem in developing readers as they make the connection that words are read the same each time you see them and as they see themselves as readers. This freebie focuses on the phonics side while my race games allow for picture or word identification. A great follow-up to this freebie is to have the players pick 3 or 4 words to write and illustrate. To extend play, the students have to use the word in a sentence in order to lock it (put a second counter on the space).





In case, you missed it. Last Friday's freebie was Flyin' Fact Family Puzzles (TPT, TN) which coordinates with my Spring Things Math activities (see post).

This Friday, I am linking up for TBA's 2nd Birthday Ultimate Freebie Celebration with freebies including a morning work freebie for April/Earth Day. Coordinating Earth Day activities will be up in my store this week as well including this one.
 
As promised my TPT sale has been extended to April 3rd.
Have a great week!
Jenn


2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and I am loving the word family bump. It is great to take a well loved game from math and make it work for literacy. Thank you so much for this wonderful freebie!
    Mrs.Egley’sKindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I made a literacy bump back in December. My kinders loved the change up. Glad you could use it.
      Jenn

      Delete